I have been researching the internet for weeks to find a decent 360 video editor for beginners. I looked at Premiere Pro, Da Vinci Resolve, MOVAVI, Lightworks but CyberLink Power Director stands out for being the most value for money. And I will show you why.
In this tutorial I am going to show you how to edit a 360 video using CyberLink Power Director 17 Ultra. A much cheaper alternative to Premiere Pro. The only downside is that you can only export videos to a maximum resolution of 4096 x 2048 (That’s still not bad). And it’s only available on Windows. However, there is a simple hack to make Power Director export above 4K resolution! Check out the solution below!
UPDATE: HOW TO EXPORT 360 VIDEO IN 5.7K RESOLUTION USING POWER DIRECTOR
Here is a simple hack to get around the maximum video export resolution of 4K. You can now export your video at 5.7K (5760 x 2880) with this trick.
In this tutorial I am going to show you how to make a 360 video tour like this one I made. This video was made in Premiere Pro but I want to prove to you that this cheaper alternative, CyberLink Power Director will still do the exact same thing (almost).
If you want to follow along this tutorial then download your free trial of CyberLink Power Director 17 Ultra. And you can also download the footage and assets I will be using in this tutorial to edit your own 360 video. Then you can copy everything I do. This is free trial version of Power Director so the highest resolution footage you can import is 1920 x 960. With the full version you can import up to 4096 x 2048 video.
I will teach you how to import footage, trim footage, add a colour grade with a LUT, add music, add a logo at the nadir, add 360 titles all around your video, and finally export your video. Let’s get started.
How To Edit 360 Video:
HOW TO IMPORT FOOTAGE INTO CYBERLINK POWER DIRECTOR
- Open CyberLink Power Director. Click 360 Editor. And the editor will open.
- Download the footage and assets to follow along this tutorial and edit your own 360 video. Then locate these downloaded files on your computer and drag it into the editor with the other media.
- When you import the footage into the editor, it will ask you whether you would like to create shadow files. These are low resolution copies of your footage. The editor makes low resolution copies to reduce lag in the editing experience. When you export your video, the editor will use the original high resolution footage to export your video. If you have a slow computer then I recommend you click Yes. But if you have a fast computer then I recommend you click No.
- You should now have 3 video clips, 1 soundtrack, and 1 logo imported. You now know how to import footage and assets into Power Director!
HOW TO TRIM 360 VIDEO
- Drag the first footage into your timeline called Kew Palace.
- Create a 360 video project.
- Use the Plus button to zoom in closer to your timeline.
- Hover your mouse over the end of the video clip. You will see an icon appear with 2 arrows.
- Click and drag the video clip left to trim the video shorter to 10 seconds in duration.
- Drag the second video clip called Palm House into the timeline next to the first video clip. Trim the video clip to 10 seconds like the previous video clip. Repeat this process for the third video clip. You will now have a timeline of 3 video clips, 10 seconds each. You now know how to trim footage in Power Director!
HOW TO VIEW YOUR VIDEO IN 360 DEGREES
- Your preview window shows you what your video looks like in equirectangular format.
- Click Enable 360 Viewer Mode to see your video in 360 degrees.
- Drag the preview window around to look around your video.
- Click here to reset the default starting view position of the 360 video.
HOW TO CHANGE THE STARTING VIEW POSITION OF THE 360 VIDEO
- Let’s say you want to change the initial starting position of this 360 video to look towards the Palace instead of the fountain.
- Click 360 Start View Setting.
- Change the Y Rotation to 180 degrees.
- Click Ok. The starting position of your 360 video has now changed to look towards the Palace!
- Repeat this process for the second and third video clips.
HOW TO COLOUR GRADE BY ADDING A LUT TO YOUR VIDEO CLIP
- To colour grade your 360 video with a LUT, select the first video clip.
- Click Fix/Enhance.
- Click Colour Presets & CLUTS.
- Click Import LUT.
- Locate the LUT for your camera on your computer and click Open. Your LUT will be imported and saved. You will not have to locate the LUT ever again.
- Apply the LUT by clicking on it. Your LUT will be applied! There are also other advanced colour grading options available. You now know how to apply LUTS to video clips in Power Director!
- Now apply the LUT to the second and third video clips. Select the video clip and then select the LUT.
- Click the X to see your media again.
HOW TO ADD MUSIC AND FADE IT IN AND OUT
- Drag the music Retreat onto your timeline.
- Trim the music to fit the video. Hover your mouse over the end of the music until you get the icon with 2 arrows. Click and drag the music inwards.
- Zoom into the timeline by clicking the Plus button. At a couple of seconds into the timeline, hover your mouse over the audio line. Hold Control on the keyboard and click to add a keyframe. This is where your audio will fade in.
- Add a keyframe at the start of the timeline. Hold Control on the keyboard and click to add a keyframe. Drag this keyframe down. This will give the fade in effect from quiet to normal volume.
- Repeat this process for the fade out effect at the end of the video. Add a keyframe a couple of seconds before the end. Add another keyframe at the end of the video and drag it down to fade out. You now know how to add music and fade it in and out in Power Director!
HOW TO ADD YOUR LOGO AT THE NADIR
- Drag the nadir logo into the timeline.
- Stretch the nadir to fill the entire timeline.
- Double click the nadir logo. Change the Latitude to -90 degrees.
- Scroll the preview window down and the nadir logo is in place!
- Change the scale to 0.25 to reduce the size of the nadir logo by half. Click OK. You now know how to add a nadir in Power Director!
HOW TO ADD 360 TITLES ALL AROUND THE 360 VIDEO
- Click Text.
- Drag Default 360 text into your timeline.
- Double click the 360 text to edit it. Change the text to “Kew Palace.”
- To change the font, highlight the text by selecting it with your mouse. Then change the font to Poppins and click OK.
- To save time from inputting the same settings over and over again, you will copy the text on Track 3. Select the text, and tap Control + C on the keyboard to copy it.
- Select Track 4.
- Tap Control + V on the keyboard to paste the text onto Track 4.
- Double click the text to bring up the settings. Change the Longitude to 90 degrees. Click OK. You have now successfully added 360 text on the East side of your video clip!
- You will notice there are no more tracks available. You will need to add a new track. To do this, right click on a track, and click Add Tracks.
- Click OK to add Track 5 after Track 4.
- Copy the 360 text from Track 4. Select Track 5. And tap Control + V on the keyboard to paste.
- Double click the 360 text and change the Longitude to 180 degrees. Click OK. You have now successfully added 360 text on the South side of your video clip!
- Add Track 6 by right clicking, and select Add Tracks.
- Click OK to add Track 6.
- Copy the 360 text from Track 5. Paste the 360 text from Track 5 onto Track 6.
- Double click the 360 text. Change the Longitude to 270 degrees. Click OK. You have now successfully added 360 text on all sides of your video clip!
- Now use the previous steps to add the text “Palm House” all around the second video clip. Add the text “Davies Alpine House” all around the third video clip. You can change the size of the text smaller if you wish.
- Once you are finished adding all the 360 text around your 360 video, click the play button to watch your 360 video and make sure it is all ok. You now know how to add 360 text to your 360 video in Power Director!
HOW TO EXPORT YOUR 360 VIDEO
- When you are finished editing your 360 video, click Produce.
- For the highest export settings, click the plus button to add a custom profile.
- I will share with you the best video export settings possible with the full version of Power Director. Change the video resolution to 4096 x 2048. The footage you downloaded is from the Insta360 One X. Set the frame rate to 29.97. Feel free to change this setting for your own camera. Change the Average Bitrate to 120000. Select Quality Mode. Click OK to save the profile.
- When you are ready to export, click Start.
- Your 360 video will begin exporting! You now know how to make a 360 video using Power Director!
HOW TO REFRAME 360 VIDEO INTO CONVENTIONAL 2D VIDEO
- You will learn how to turn 360 video in a 2D video. Open a new project and import the Kew Palace video clip. Add the video clip to your timeline. Click Create A Conventional 2D Video.
- Click Yes to create a 16:9 aspect ratio video.
- Add a keyframe at the beginning of the video clip. This is where the video will start to turn.
- Select the end of the video clip. This is where the video will stop turning.
- Add a keyframe here.
- Change the Y Rotation to 180 degrees. This will turn the video 180 degrees from the start to the end of the video.
- Play the video to see the results and click OK to apply the settings. You now know how to reframe 360 video in Power Director!
HOW TO MAKE A LITTLE PLANET VIDEO
- Create a new project and import a video clip. Add the video clip to your timeline. Create A Conventional 2D Video.
- Select the video clip, go to Designer, and click View Designer.
- Under Projection Mode, select Little Planet.
- Click Yes.
- Feel free to play with the settings and add keyframes to animate your planet. You now know how to create a little planet video using Power Director!
That’s it! I have only just scratched the surface with Power Director. There is soo much more for you to discover. I highly recommend that you download the free trial of CyberLink Power Director and have a go yourself. It’s important to make sure that the software runs smoothly on your PC or laptop before you purchase the full version.
I think Power Director is one of the most beginner friendly 360 video editors out there that is great value for money. It’s a one off payment for a lifetime license oppose to a costly monthly subscription fee like Premiere Pro.
Get 10% off CyberLink PowerDirector 17 Ultra with voucher code WOW10.